Many years ago, I bought some glow-in-the-dark thread, but I didn’t like it because it was hard to stitch with (it was essentially thread wrapped in/with thin plastic) and it came in weird colours (think florescent colours, but in pastel). Then, I found DMC’s glow-in-the-dark thread and I knew that I had to find a pattern immediately because glow-in-the-dark is cool.
Halloween was coming up, which seemed perfect for glow-in-the-dark thread, but I didn’t like any of the patterns I found, so I made my own. This was not an easy feat – I studied many patterns and even tried to play with free patterns (merging 2 or more, adjusting colours, etc.). In the end, I designed my own pattern in two parts – the pumpkin with glow-in-the-dark facial features and a glow-in-the-dark spider web for the background. It was early October 2011 and I figured I could whip it together by Halloween.
By early November, I’d managed to get it half done. No problem – that just meant that it would be done by the following Halloween. Or, you know, Halloween 2018.
Seven years. It took me 7 years to finish the piece.
One of the benefits of all the decluttering and prioritizing I’ve been doing is that I’m no longer overwhelmed by all the unfinished projects I have, because I only kept a select few, including this pumpkin. I was quite proud of the design and I like Halloween. So, it was easy for me to pick this up and spend a week working on it.
Then, I took a trick that Alex from Florals and Floss recommended. She stains her hoops to make them look a bit more classy. I figured painting would work, too. So, I painted the outer hoop in black to match and blend in with the back ground. It looks really awesome.
I also stitched some fabric to the back. This was not as easy as using felt, but I had fabric that worked with the piece. Side note: if you’re using directional fabric and don’t want to worry about lining it up properly, do it on an angle.
Now my apartment is (sort of) decorated for Halloween because I thought it would be nice to pull out my other two Halloween pieces that I kept: a table runner made with Lizzie House Halloween fabric (newly christened as a wall hanging because I don’t use table runners) and Frankie (a.k.a. my boyfriend, a.k.a. yes, I’m well aware of the fact that he’s name is really Adam, but I prefer the name Frank). Now I get to enjoy them while embracing the autumn weather and lamenting the fact that the city is turning grey (the leaves never last long once they change colour).
Next up, a few more stitching projects and I might also work on the Christmas quilt I started in 2015 (here’s a peak at a block that I finished). Maybe. Possibly. The website it was on no longer exists, so I’ll have to figure out how to finish it first.